In 2020, WWF Palm Oil updated their Palm Oil Buyers Scorecard. The scorecard assesses manufacturer, food service provider, and retailer commitments and actions for sustainable palm oil and helps build a culture of transparency around palm oil use.
Here are the scoring criteria that were used in the scorecards.
Own Supply Chain
1. Commitments to buying RSPO certified sustainable palm oil (CSPO)
Companies should be 100% RSPO certified for all palm oil purchased and for the entire group (including subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures and majority holdings).
2. How much CSPO companies actually use each type of palm oil
Shifting supply chains to physical supplies of CSPO brings greater transparency to that supply chain and it requires companies along the supply chain to build a relationship with suppliers.
3. Scope to which the quantities of CSPO relate
Multinational companies and groups have an obligation to ensure that they act on their sustainability commitments wherever they use palm oil
4. Whether or not suppliers are expected to have a no deforestation, no conversion commitment
Companies that are serious about ensuring supply chain sustainability must extend their commitments to their suppliers. In doing so, they also build greater influence for sustainability over their own supply chain and beyond.
5. Whether or not suppliers are required to purchase only palm oil that is traceable
Whilst traceability alone does not guarantee sustainability, companies can confirm whether they are sustainable and/or provide influence and support to this end by understanding their supply chain.
Beyond Own Supply Chain
1. Membership of action-oriented sustainable palm oil platforms
These “platforms” need to be complementary to the RSPO that requires demonstrable action, beyond just membership and commitments for a company's own supply chain.
2. On-the-ground investment in palm oil-producing landscapes with pro-sustainability measure
Companies should move their commitments beyond mitigation of deforestation and sustainability risk. This includes supporting smallholder producers, protecting and restoring forests, supporting landscape or jurisdiction approaches, and conservation projects.
Nimbly transforms manual operational audit processes into app-based checklists for front-line workers to generate reports instantly, centralize insights in real-time, and ensure thorough issue resolution.